2012 Holiday Display Regulations and Application (145.5 KiB, 309 hits)
The City of Poughkeepsie will sponsor a holiday display on the City-owned vacant lot located at 253 Main Street to celebrate the winter holiday season. The display planned by the City of Poughkeepsie is a secular celebration of the winter holiday season and a recognition of the diversity of the community. City of Poughkeepsie area religious and secular groups may participate in the display.
The display begins the second Wednesday of December and ends the second Friday of January. The attached application is for the upcoming season only and the approval by the City of this application shall not entitle your display to be accepted by the City of Poughkeepsie during future holiday seasons.
Today, the City of Poughkeepsie advertises the display opportunity. Groups wishing to participate in the holiday display must complete the attached application (also available at the City Chamberlain’s office, 1st Fl. City Hall) and return it to the office of the City Chamberlain by December 7, 2012 at 4:00pm. The Acting City Administrator will then communicate the City’s acceptance or rejection of your display to you.
The following regulations have been enacted by the Acting City Administrator for the City-sponsored holiday display:
- Any City of Poughkeepsie area-based religious or secular group may participate in the holiday display on the City parcel by displaying one symbol or object. (The attached diagram indicates that the area designated has been divided into equal sections). A group will have a choice of which section it wishes to display its symbol or object, on a first-come, first-served basis. Space at this location is limited.
- The display or object must be of such dimensions as to fit on its intended space.
- The group displaying the symbol is responsible for the delivery of the display to the display site and pick-up from the site. City personnel shall be available to assist in the erection and dismantling of the display. Dates for the erection and dismantling of the display will be set by the City Administrator. The City shall provide electrical service for lighting, but the group must provide necessary extension cords, etc. The City is not responsible for the display while on City property, including, but not limited to, damage from vandalism.
- The display should be maintained in such a manner that is consistent with public safety and health. After erection, the maintenance of the display shall be inspected by employees of the City of Poughkeepsie to ensure the safety of the display. The group must take whatever action the City deems necessary to rectify any problems in the maintenance of the display so as to ensure public safety to the satisfaction of the City.
- The City does not favor or sponsor any particular religion. Therefore, a religious ceremony may not accompany the erection or dis-assembly of the display or during any period in which the display is maintained.
- Upon submission of the attached application, a determination will be made by the City Administrator whether there is a requirement for insurance covering the display. If insurance is required, the group must provide it prior to assembly of the display. Proof of insurance must be provided to the City of Poughkeepsie in the form of a certificate of liability insurance covering the display and naming the City, its officers, employees, and agents as additional named insured. Said policy of insurance must be written by an insurance company licensed to transact business in the State of New York and must be acceptable to the City of Poughkeepsie. Said coverage shall be for the entire period of time that the display is on the city-owned property. The necessity and amounts of said coverage will be determined by the City of Poughkeepsie upon review of the attached application.