A snow emergency has been declared beginning at 11:00pm this evening, February 8, 2013. Mayor John C. Tkazyik would like to take the opportunity to remind City residents and visitors about the regulations that are put into effect when a “Snow Emergency” is declared.
Snow Emergency Regulations
During a “Snow Emergency,” vehicles should be removed from streets that are designated as a snow emergency route. Vehicles that are legally registered, inspected, and insured may be parked in a City of Poughkeepsie municipal parking lot that is open to the public, free of charge, during a declared snow emergency. Vehicles that are parked on snow emergency routes during a declared snow emergency are subject to ticketing, towing, or impounding at the vehicle owner’s expense. If your vehicle is towed, an impound fee must be paid prior to it being released. Instructions for release can be obtained by calling the City of Poughkeepsie Police Department at (845) 451-4000. Vehicles should not be parked on snow emergency routes until the snow emergency is cancelled. Snow emergency routes can be found on the City’s website (see Snow Information section below). Please check the website for updates throughout the storm.
Bus Service Cancelled
All City transit services are cancelled as of 5pm today, February 8th until further notice. Bus service is expected to resume on Monday, February 11, 2013.
Snow Clearing – Sidewalks & Fire Hydrants
Residents and business owners must clear the sidewalk in front of their residences and businesses as required by the City ordinance. There must be compliance of all parking regulations for your street, and snow must not be put into any roadway. This is a violation of the City of Poughkeepsie Code of Ordinances. Residents must clear all fire hydrants on their properties.
Consider helping your elderly neighbors, or those with medical conditions, by shoveling out the hydrant or sidewalk in front of their home. This act of kindness will benefit the entire neighborhood.
Snow Emergency Routes
The following is a list of “Snow Emergency” routes:
- Academy Street from Main Street to North-South Arterial Highway
- Beechwood Avenue from Ferris Lane to City line
- South Cherry Street from Main Street to Hooker Avenue
- Civic CenterPlaza from Mansion Street to Main Street
- North Clinton Street from Mansion Street to Route 44/55, westbound
- Columbia Street from North-South Arterial Highway to Lincoln Avenue
- North Clover Street from Mill Street to Main Street
- South Clover Street from Main Street to Union Street
- Ferris Lane from Hooker Avenue to Beechwood Avenue
- Grand Avenue from City line at Main Street to Hooker Avenue
- North Hamilton Street from Parker Avenue to Main Street
- South Hamilton Street from Main Street to Livingston Street
- Hooker Avenue from South Hamilton Street to City line
- Jefferson Street, Route 44/55 to Lincoln Avenue
- Lincoln Avenue from Montgomery Street to Livingston Street
- Main Street from Hudson River to City line at Grand Avenue
- Mansion Street from Smith Street to North Clinton Street
- Market Street from Main Street to Montgomery Street
- Montgomery Street from Lincoln Avenue to South Hamilton Street
- Parker Avenue from Washington Street to City line
- Reade Place from South Avenue to Young Street
- Smith Street from City line to Clinton Square
- South Avenue from Montgomery Street to North-South Arterial Highway
- Washington Street from City line to Main Street
- Wilbur Boulevard from Hooker Avenue to City line
Snowfall & Snow Emergency Information (871.0 KiB, 516 hits)
Clearing Snow Around Fire Hydrants (89.1 KiB, 700 hits)
Snow Event Policy, Procedures, & Plan (1.4 MiB, 426 hits)