A snow emergency has been declared beginning at 11:00pm this evening, February 12, 2014. Mayor John C. Tkazyik would like to take the opportunity to remind City residents and visitors about the regulations that are put into effect when a “Snow Emergency” is declared.
City Transit System & Sanitation Department
All City transit services are cancelled for tomorrow, February 13, 2014 until further notice. Sanitation collection will continue as scheduled for Thursday routes.
Residents and business owners must clear the sidewalk in front of their residences and businesses as required by the City ordinance. There must be compliance of all parking regulations for your street, and snow must not be put into any roadway. This is a violation of the City of Poughkeepsie Code of Ordinances. Residents must clear all fire hydrants on their properties.
Snow Emergency Routes
During a “Snow Emergency,” vehicles should be removed from streets that are designated as a snow emergency route. The City is also encouraging those who do not live along a snow emergency route to relocate their vehicles to City Municipal lots during the storm to facilitate clean-up. Vehicles that are legally registered, inspected, and insured may be parked in a City of Poughkeepsie municipal parking lot that is open to the public, free of charge, during a declared snow emergency. Vehicles that are parked on snow emergency routes during a declared snow emergency are subject to ticketing, towing, or impounding at the vehicle owner’s expense. If your vehicle is towed, an impound fee must be paid prior to it being released. Instructions for release can be obtained by calling the City of Poughkeepsie Police Department at (845) 451-4000. Vehicles should not be parked on snow emergency routes until the snow emergency is cancelled. Snow emergency routes can be found below. Please check the website for updates throughout the storm.
Designated Snow Emergency Routes:
- Academy Street from Main Street to North-South Arterial Highway
- Beechwood Avenue from Ferris Lane to City line
- South Cherry Street from Main Street to Hooker Avenue
- Civic Center Plaza from Mansion Street to Main Street
- North Clinton Street from Mansion Street to Route 44/55, westbound
- Columbia Street from North-South Arterial Highway to Lincoln Avenue
- North Clover Street from Mill Street to Main Street
- South Clover Street from Main Street to Union Street
- Ferris Lane from Hooker Avenue to Beechwood Avenue
- Grand Avenue from City line at Main Street to Hooker Avenue
- North Hamilton Street from Parker Avenue to Main Street
- South Hamilton Street from Main Street to Livingston Street
- Hooker Avenue from South Hamilton Street to City line
- Jefferson Street, Route 44/55 to Lincoln Avenue
- Lincoln Avenue from Montgomery Street to Livingston Street
- Main Street from Hudson River to City line at Grand Avenue
- Mansion Street from Smith Street to North Clinton Street
- Market Street from Main Street to Montgomery Street
- Montgomery Street from Lincoln Avenue to South Hamilton Street
- Parker Avenue from Washington Street to City line
- Reade Place from South Avenue to Young Street
- Smith Street from City line to Clinton Square
- South Avenue from Montgomery Street to North-South Arterial Highway
- Washington Street from City line to Main Street
- Wilbur Boulevard from Hooker Avenue to City line