The City Bus office operates the City of Poughkeepsie Transit System which provides affordable, regularly scheduled mass transportation service for city residents and visitors. Each day, 6 City buses travel over 650 miles and provide transportation for 1,200 citizens.
Route Suspensions & Notices
- Snow Emergency Lifted: January 27 at 8:00am
- Snow Emergency Declared – Begins Monday at 6:00pm
- Holiday Schedule: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
View All: Bus Service Route Suspensions & Notices
City Bus Fares
City Bus Fares - 2013 (43.2 KiB, 6,612 hits)
City Bus Schedule
The City of Poughkeepsie Transit System operates bus routes Monday through Saturday.
Monday – Friday
- Main Street, Northside, Southside routes (6:30 AM to 6:10 PM)
- Galleria route (8:30 AM to 4:30 PM)
- Shopper’s Special route (9:30 AM to 5:30 PM)
- Special route (6:30 AM to 7:40 AM & 3:00 PM to 3:40 PM)
- Main Street, Northside, Southside routes (6:30 AM to 3:10 PM)
- Galleria route (8:30 AM to 3:30 PM)
City Bus Schedule and Route Map
The City Bus Schedule is available on the Downloads page and also at City Hall (1st Floor, Tax Department). To request a schedule by mail, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
City of Poughkeepsie Bus Service
26 Howard Street
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
ATTN: Schedule Request
Bus Schedule and Route Map
Bus Schedule and Route Map (1.0 MiB, 33,573 hits)
Horario de Buses y mapa de rutas (684.5 KiB, 2,536 hits)
As required by the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Dutchess County LOOP operates an ADA Complementary Paratransit Service for qualified individuals residing in Dutchess County and the City of Poughkeepsie.
Dial-A-Ride is a curb-to-curb transportation service open to the general public.
In order to serve the special transportation needs of the public, the service is offered only to those who need it. If an individual can use the regular LOOP bus service, that individual is not eligible for Dial-A-Ride service.
- One must be a resident of and have a trip origin in the following communities: Towns of East Fishkill, Fishkill, Hyde Park, Poughkeepsie, or Wappinger, or the City of Poughkeepsie.
What transportation is available in Dutchess County for someone who does not drive, or can not afford a taxi?
- If the person is eligible for Medicaid (and s/he might well be), Medicaid will cover the cost of medical transportation and medical services. The person to call for information on that is Lance Bixby at 486-3184. There are several programs that may work for this person.
- If the person is over 60, a student, a veteran, Medicare card holder, or a person with a disability, s/he would pay $.75 on the City of Poughkeepsie Bus Service or $.75 on the fixed route (LOOP) service. (People with disabilities who wish to use the LOOP service must register at http://www.co.dutchess.ny.us/CountyGov/Departments/Planning/adaapplication.pdf.)
- If the person is over 60 or a veteran, s/he would pay $1.00 on Dial-A-Ride if it is available in his/her town. The phone number for Dial-A-Ride is 473-0171 and the person can register at http://www.co.dutchess.ny.us/CountyGov/Departments/MassTransit/darapplication.asp.
- If the person is over 60, Friends of Seniors has a volunteer driver program that may be able to help for medical trips. The phone number is 485-1277 and the website is http://www.friendsofseniors.biz/.
- If the person lives near a pharmacy that offers delivery, s/he may try that, or use a pharmacy that is in a grocery store and combine trips for food and pharmacy to save time and money. Sometimes, doctors can give samples of medicine in the office. S/he should ask while s/he is at the doctor’s office.
- If the person belongs to a church or synagogue, s/he should call them to ask if there is a volunteer driver program through the church. It is usually free. Catholic Charities sometimes offers bus passes to those who need them. Their phone number is 1-888-744-7900 and their website is http://www.catholiccharitiesny.org/news-and-events/news/index.cfm?i=16144&m=4&y=2010.
- There is also Flex service available most days. It is curb to curb and $5 one way for one town, and $6 one way for two towns.
Office Hours and Location
26 Howard Street
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
6:30 am to 7:00 pm
Rich Bell, Dispatcher
(845) 451-4103 Fax