Recycling is good for the environment and saves money. Disposal of trash costs the City $79/ton while recyclables cost the City $0. For drop-off fees, check the Transfer Station Fee Schedule.
Recycling FAQ (278.4 KiB, 1,021 hits)
Transfer Station Fee Schedule - 2014 (37.9 KiB, 3,544 hits)
- Blue recycling bin
- Labeled plastic tote container
- Labeled trash can (no refuse in can)
To replace your broken City-issued blue recycle bin, please use a clean trash receptacle that is 32 gallons or under. You may mark the can with the letter “R” or paste a sign stating “Recyclables” on it. This container must be used for recyclables only and no other trash or debris may be placed in it.
- Corrugated cardboard and flat cardboard including cereal boxes, gift boxes, etc.
- Newspapers, magazines, catalogs, loose paper (including junk mail) may be placed in paper bags or bundled with string. Do not place in plastic bags.
- Plastic: #1-#7
- Glass bottles and jars
- Milk and other beverage cartons
- Metal and aluminum cans
- Foil and foil pans
Please remember to rinse all food containers!
Setting Out & Returning Containers
- Cans, bins, or materials are to be placed curbside no earlier than 5:00 p.m. on the night before scheduled pickup.
- After pickup, cans and bins are to be returned to the rear of the residence no later than 6:00 a.m. the morning after refuse is collected.
Remember the Three R’s:
Department of Sanitation
26 Howard Street
Poughkeepsie, New York 12601
Recycling Coordinator: 845.451.4050
Transfer Station: 845.451.4108