April 22, 2013: The Section 8 Housing HCV Waiting List is closed. The City of Poughkeepsie Section 8 Program is not accepting applications at this time.
News & Updates
- Holiday Schedule: Presidents’ Day (Monday, February 16, 2015)
- Snow Emergency Declared – Begins January 26 at 6:00pm
- Section 8 Program Expands Services in City & Town
The mission of the Section 8 program is to help make market rate housing more affordable by providing assistance to low income families in the private rental market through the Housing Assistance Payments Program.
Housing Assistance Payments Program
How the Housing Assistance Payments Programs works:
- Rental Voucher Holders select a unit from the private rental market.
- The Housing Assistance Payment subsidizes the balance of the rent to the property owner.
- The goal is for Housing Assistance Payment Program participants to pay no more than 30% of their monthly adjusted income towards rent and utilities.
Family Self Sufficiency (FSS)
A program established within the housing agency to promote economic self-sufficiency among participating families. This program is only open to “eligible families”, those families who receive assistance under the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. It offers a financial incentive to families, that becomes available to the families, upon successful completion of the Contract of Participation or upon achievement of certain goals.
Request for Tenancy Approval (4.4 MiB, 7,508 hits)
For further information about the program, please contact our office at the number or email address below
Office Hours, Location & Mailing Address
1 Civic Center Plaza
3rd Floor, Suite 301
8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Margaret Palumbo, Section 8 Housing Administrator