Common Council meetings begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers, Third Floor, Municipal Building, 62 Civic Center Plaza, Poughkeepsie, New York.
Parking is available under City Hall. Enter the parking garage from the westbound arterial highway. For additional information, contact the City Clerk, at (845) 451-4225.
All Common Council meetings are webcasted live at: http://www.totalwebcasting.com/live/cop/
Once completed, the meetings are archived on the site for later viewing.
Common Council Agenda
Common Council Agenda & Packet - July 6, 2015
5:30 p.m. Public Hearing regarding proposed designation of 57 Montgomery Street as an historic landmark
6:00 p.m. Public Hearing regarding the proposed abandonment of High Road Extension
- ROLL CALL:
- REVIEW OF MINUTES:
- READING OF ITEMS by the City Chamberlain of any resolutions not listed on the printed agenda.
- PUBLIC PARTICIPATION: Three (3) minutes per person up to 45 minutes of public comment on any agenda and non-agenda items.
- MAYOR’S COMMENTS:
- CHAIRMAN’S COMMENTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- MOTIONS AND RESOLUTIONS:
- FROM CITY ADMINISTRATOR BUNYI, Resolution R15-52, approving the allocation of $25,000.00 in support the EFC for a drinking water grant.
- FROM CHAIRMAN PETSAS, Resolution R15-53, the Council’s opposition to the Administration’s plan to reduce the number of days the transfer station is open to the public.
- ORDINANCES AND LOCAL LAWS:
- PRESENTATION OF PETITIONS AND COMMUNICATIONS:
- FROM PASTOR WHITTED, a presentation regarding the future of the YMCA.
- A PRESENTATION FROM NEW YORKERS AGAINST GUN VIOLENCE.
- FROM CHANTEL SMART, a notice of Claim.
- FROM FRANK W. WHITE, JR., a notice of Claim sustained on August 23, 2014.
- FROM IRA A. GETTER, a notice of property damage sustained on June 10, 2015.
- FROM LATORIA MCKINNEY, a notice of property damage sustained on June 23, 2015.
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS:
- NEW BUSINESS:
In observance of Independence Day, the following services will be closed or suspended on Friday, July 3rd, 2015:
- City Hall & City Court: Closed Friday, July 3rd. Reopens Monday, July 6th.
- Transfer Station: Closed Friday, July 3rd & Saturday July 4th. Reopens Monday, July 6th.
- Bus Service: Running on a regular schedule on Friday, July 3rd. All service suspended on Saturday, July 4th.
- Sanitation: No garbage or recycling pickup on Friday, July 3rd. Service resumes as scheduled on Monday, July 6th.
2015 Sanitation Pick-Up Holiday Schedule
Sanitation & Recycling Reminders
This notice is to all residents of the City of Poughkeepsie who utilize City water –
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that the City of Poughkeepsie Fire Department will be servicing and testing the City fire hydrant system (weather permitting). This system is directly linked to the drinking water supply.
Be further advised that during the testing period, the water is safe, but should be run until it is clear; use caution when doing white laundry-it is recommended that you should wait a twenty-four (24) to forty-eight (48) hour period after the testing has been completed in the vicinity of your neighborhood.
Monday- June 29, 2015
- South Avenue
- Oak Street
- Franklin Street between South Avenue & Lincoln Avenue
- Dean Place
- Reade Place
- Fox Street from Livingston Street to Route 9
Tuesday- June 30, 2015
- Union Street
- Grand Street
- South Bridge Street
- South Clover Street
- Delano Street
- South Perry Street
- Jefferson Street between Church Street & Union Street
Wednesday – July 1, 2015
- Rinaldi Boulevard
- Long Street
- Colonial Park
- Hurlihe Street
- Gerald Drive
- Stout Court
- Hudson Heights Drive
Thursday- July 2, 2015
- Laurel Street
- Pine Street Spur
- Hudson Point Complex
- Prospect Street
- Sunfish Cove Road
- Fox Street, Near Route 9
- No testing due to July 4th holiday
The Water Department will be working on hydrants located on Meyer Avenue, today, Thursday, June 25th, 2015. The hydrants will be opened for an extended period of time to be monitored by City personnel. Addresses local to the area may experience low water pressure and slight water discoloration. Any questions can be directed to City of Poughkeepsie Water Department at (845) 451-4111. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
Below is the link to the results of the latest round of Hudson River Water Quality sampling conducted by Riverkeeper. They sampled for Enterococcus, an indicator of fecal contamination. The sites sampled in the Dutchess County communities were all within acceptable levels for safe swimming and the sample taken at the Poughkeepsie Drinking Water Intake had an Entero count of <1. The samples were collected during wet weather in our region. Riverkeeper has reported similar results for the past 5 years. This is an indicator of the success of the City’s MS4 and CSO programs, that are administered by the City Engineering Department.
Riverkeeper – Hudson River Water Quality
The Water Department is repairing a water valve at the intersection of Hewlett Road & Merrick Road today, Wednesday, June 24th. Residents in the area may experience a temporary disruption in their water service and/or low water pressure. If the water appears cloudy once the water is restored, residents are instructed to run the water until it is clear.
For additional information, please contact the DPW Dispatcher at (845) 451-4111
The Water Department will be working on hydrants located on Hoffman Avenue, today, Monday, June 22nd. The hydrants will be opened for an extended period of time to be monitored by City personnel. Addresses local to the area may experience low water pressure and slight water discoloration. Any questions can be directed to City of Poughkeepsie Water Department at (845) 451-4111. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
Pursuant to Section 2.04 of the Charter of the City of Poughkeepsie, Christopher D. Petsas., Chairman of the Common Council hereby calls a Special Meeting of the Common Council of the City of Poughkeepsie for Monday, June 22nd, 2015 at 12:00 p.m. for the purpose of settlement of a Claim.
The meeting shall be held in the Common Council Chambers located at 62 Civic Center Plaza, 3rd Floor, Poughkeepsie, New York 12601
A message from the Poughkeepsie Public Library District:
The tax levy information provided by the Library District to the City of Poughkeepsie contained an error resulting in an over levy of approximately $325,000. This excess levy will be conveyed to the Library District by the City and held in escrow (in an interest bearing account) and will be used to reduce the City’s Library District tax levy in 2016. This error concerns Library District taxes paid by City property owners only. We apologize for this error.
“Notice to City Property Owners” The Rotunda Vol. 15, Issue 4 (Summer 2015), Page 4
For additional information about the tax levy error, please contact the Poughkeepsie Public Library District.