- Fire Department
City Fire Department Continues Hydrant TestingDuring the testing period, the water is safe but should be run until it is clear. Read on...
The City of Poughkeepsie Fire Department which is led by Chief Joe Franco and Deputy Chief Vincent Parise is a 66-firefighter career-staffed department that protects 32,000 people living in an area of 5.72 square miles. We operate three fire stations that respond to over 5,000 calls per year. The city staffs three engines, two ladder trucks, and a shift commander’s vehicle 24/7. The city also has two reserve engines, one ladder truck, one rescue truck, one utility truck, and two river marine units that can be put in service as needed.
Inspections & Applications
- Liquefied Petroleum (LP) and Hazardous Materials Application (PDF)
- Multi-Residence Inspection Application (PDF)
- Operating Permit Licensing Application (PDF)
- Place of Public Assembly License Application (PDF)
- Tent Permit Application (PDF)
The Poughkeepsie Fire Department is no longer responsible for issuing permits for Fire Alarms, Sprinkler Systems, Tank Installation/Removal, and Solid Fuel Burning appliances. These will be handled by the Building Department.
Fire Department Divisions
- Formulation, coordination and delivery of fire department services
- Supervision and direction of subordinate divisions
- Long-term and strategic planning
- The annual budget
Training & Development
- In-service and field training to all firefighters and officers to insure they are kept up-to-date on the latest in firefighting methods and safety
- Direct responsibility for all academy recruits until completion of field training
- Providing and co-sponsoring training with adjacent departments and civic groups
Suppression & Protection
- Responds to all requests for emergency assistance when dispatched by the City of Poughkeepsie E-911 Center
- On-site visits to local schools, churches, as well as each of the fire houses throughout the year
- Investigates the cause and origin of fires or explosions to determine whether it is suspicious, accidental or intentional in nature
- When necessary, this division works jointly with the City of Poughkeepsie Police Department.